Saturday, February 28, 2015

Day 67: Christmas Trees

I love Christmas. Like a lot. This year I decided that I would have 2 small Christmas trees in my classroom and two at home in my one bedroom apartment. I realize that I'm crazy.

Then I found these and it only got worse better.


So, what I decided to do was let the kids decorate the tree every day. The kids (yes, even the boys) were quite excited about decorating my tree with princess ornaments. I let a different class decorate the tree each day.

What I realized is this is something that most of them may not have ever participated in. At my house, Christmas was always a big deal. We decorated the tree as a family every year. My brother and I fought over who got to put the star on the tree when we were little. In my classroom, we're a family. I love them like a mom, and I am doing things with them that I think are important and meaningful, even when it has nothing to do with math. Most of their families don't do things together. A lot of them would rather be at school than at home. So we decorate the tree together, and my 18 year olds can't get enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment